Thread: Is this normal?
View Single Post
Old 05-06-2009, 11:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Philly

Hi Relief,

Welcome. All of the above is very normal and expected. No one said this was going to be easy. The glorifing is hard to get over especially if you were hurting no one but yourself. It is so easy to forget the bad and remember the good. We sort of have to force ourselves to remember the bad (the reason why we needed to quit). You are going to meetings which is great. I don't go to AA but inspite of that made it so far (almost 10 months which makes me relatively new also) I don't go to AA for personal reasons but I hear it is much easier and you will be more happy in your sobriety for attending AA. Good luck and you will get alot of encouragement and idea here as well as AA. This site has been a godsend to me. I think the key is to discuss the situation with people who have been through what you are dealing with now. In our society drinking is such a big part of it and it seems like everyone does it.

Also I would reccomend "under the Influence" there are alot of excerpts on this site. It really does explain this disease in layman terms.