Thread: Is this normal?
View Single Post
Old 05-06-2009, 10:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Relief

Is this normal?

Hi all,

I have some questions about this sobriety stuff. Today is day 12 . . .

It's been quite a struggle about 3/4's of the time. I didn't expect the process to be such an emotional and mental challenge. I think about drinking, or not drinking, almost every waking minute. Is this normal? It's like my brain is obsessed. I was not like that while drinking. If I felt like drinking, I drank and that was the end of it. I even dream about drinking

Also, I have been "fantasizing" (best way I know how to describe it) about drinking. And, the fantasy is very difficult to clear from my head. For instance, Sunday I went to two aa meetings and went running twice before I was able to clear my mind and stop fantasizing about drinking. Is this normal?

Next, I find myself very irritable. I feel the urge to lash out and fly off the handle over almost anything. Is this normal?

Finally, if all of this is fairly routine, when does it end? This drunk is running out of steam and is starting to think I was happier drunk. I attend aa everyday. I share, I listen . . . what else could I do?