View Single Post
Old 05-01-2009, 07:11 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Music

I guess I was just lucky. I had sponsors early on who planted the idea in my head that gratitude was the attitude to have in order to make it in AA. Just a simple "thank you" to God each night, and a request to help me to stay sober the next morning, just for that day helped me to be grateful. Of course, I had to do some footwork in the process. For over two years, my sponsor and I met on Mondays to drive 45 miles to Chicago to attend a meeting at Catholic Charities with the guys off the street. I joined a volunteer group at Lutheran General Hospital so that once or twice a month I was able to visit inpatients who were undergoing treatment for alcohol and drugs. Walking into and out of locked wards and seeing people yellow with liver problems helped me to be grateful and come to know the meaning of "there but for the grace of God go I."

Maybe two meetings a week isn't enough. Maybe they're not the right kind. There are jail meetings, meetings at detox centers and halfway houses that can help us get grateful so that when we wake up sober, if nothing else goes right that day, at least we have that to hold on to.

Sobriety comes with a pricetag. Sobriety has to come first before school, jobs, family and friends and virtually everything else, otherwise it doesn't get the attention and respect needed to be happily sober. Not drinking is the eastiest part of being sober.