View Single Post
Old 04-30-2009, 01:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
serenityqueen
Attitude of Gratitude

Welcome to our ever growing family! And I have to say that I appreciate your honesty and openness, especially since this is your first post. Thank You!

Through my years of struggling to find Sobriety, I thought that AA/NA were religious programs because the word God was mentioned many times. Although I believe in God, I was really mad at Him for a lack of better words. I had felt like if He were with me, all of these horrible things would have never happened to me. I'm only telling you this because the God concept really got in my way for many years.

I know several people in Recovery who use a Higher Power that isn't the traditional God. You mentioned Buddism and Spirituality . . . whatever concept of a Higher Power, something greater than yourself, can be put in place there.

For me, the 12 Steps are what set me free from the guilt, shame, anger, hurt . . . all of those emotions that caused me to pick up in the first place and once I got clean, that I struggled with. Whatever route you decide to take in your Recovery, we are glad to have you with us and look forward to sharing your journey with you.

Peace,
Judy