Thread: Studying my DOC
View Single Post
Old 04-29-2009, 05:18 PM
  # 117 (permalink)  
sfgirl

I think people get really hung up on the language of everything. I know that I can and I certainly did to a much greater extent earlier on. I am not in AA but the more that I come to know about AA and "the program" the more I feel that my program is almost the same. But then again I don't understand as was happening earlier the point of arguing (or comparing) between the AA program and willpower. How do you tell the difference? [<-- does this question make sense]

I don't formally do the steps or have a sponsor but there is some spiritual aspect to my program, that is not forced by me, a girl born in NorCal who has been to church about five times in her life. It just has sort of naturally come and honestly, thank god. I have been to a couple AA meetings and when people there talk about connecting to their higher power, I'll be honest, I don't get it. I don't understand the language. It makes no sense to me. I don't sit around and talk to someone above me. I don't feel like I have found God or anything like that. So why do I say there seems to be a spiritual aspect to my program? I think because more than anything, I feel more connected to life or Life. And I can't exactly find another word to describe it. Maybe I a just using it by default because everyone else calls it that. But I don't really relate to the wording of higher power so I am not going to use it. However, I am not going to get frustrated when other people do and I think I understand it as a similar change to the one I am having. But each person is different. Each person finds different language to describe their experience and sometimes, often times I think people end up arguing over language when their experiences are fundamentally the same.