Thread: I Caved
View Single Post
Old 04-29-2009, 02:45 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Tazman53
Follow Directions!

RV hold your head high over the 90 days sober, for an alcoholic that is a major deal!

Now I will back what Bugs said 100%, you said that picking up the phone would not have made a difference! I am not being mean here, but my experience is totally different. At 2 months I was there, I was ready to drink, if there had been one in front of me I would have drank! If a store had been right there I probably would have drank, but instead I stopped my truck and I called someone, do not ask me what they said, I told them "Man I want a Fing drink right now!", we spoke for about 5 minutes and the need was gone.

Several months later the shoe was on the other foot, it was about noon and a guy I had given my number to just a few days earlier called me and said "Man I want a Fing drink right now!", I kind of panicked in my head because I had no idea what to say, but we spoke for about 5 minutes and then he said "Thanks, I am okay now." I wanted to ask him what I said that changed his mind, but I didn't, I simply told him I had been where he was at and a phone call was the trick.

RV it happened, it is over with and you are back on track, talk it over with your sponsor and others, but if you are not calling folks in the fellowship every day then I would suggest doing so. When I first got sober I hated the phone, hell when my mother was alive I only called her on her birthday and Christmas, unless I was broke down I called no one and when I was called I kept the conversation to an absolute minimum.

My sponsor suggested that if I wanted to increase my chances of staying sober I needed to learn how to talk to people on the phone, he told me if I really wanted it to call 3 people in the fellowship every day no matter what, even if it was just to say "Hi, how you doing?"

Well I had committed myself to doing what ever it took to stay sober, so I did call 3 people every day....... & I actually found them thanking me for calling them and made some good friends! My sponsor calls AA folks every day and as the saying goes "If you want what I have, do what I do."

Look RV relapses happen, you never have to relapse again unless you choose to, go back over what you were doing and what you were not doing. You mentioned being on step 9, relapses are not rare at that point, they happen to folks who are not making amends they need to make and are instead coming up with excuses not to do so.

It happened, you made it back, that is another BIG BIG deal, one more thing to hold your head high about, so many of us relapse and let our pride keep us out there drinking instead of getting back on the horse. You experience will in the future be something to help someone else.

It may be a good idea to sit down with your sponsor and start right back at step one and see what needs to be taken more to heart. The steps do work for those who take them to heart.