Old 04-17-2009, 06:01 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Dime

Hi Lost,

I got sober 17 months ago and have visited with detox patients at a hospital twice a week since and have been able to observe who has been successful in sobriety and those who have failed. Some of the patients have been back to detox 3 and 4 times during this period. The people that are successful all have one thing in common. They are simply willing to do something about their problem and take action. There does not seem to be a requirement to having hit a super low bottom at all. Some of the people that have remained sober had very little consequences from their use of alcohol or drugs to begin with. On the other hand there are people with severe consequences that are physically dying that still seem to be unwilling.

For me the thing that made a difference was getting over all my issues with AA and just getting a Sponsor and working the steps. It just worked in spite of all my reservations with the program starting out.

There is no better time than taking action than right now. If we don't the problems we have today will seem minor compared to the ones we accumulate. I know, I learned the hard way and I don't want to see others be as stubborn as I was. All I had to do was ask for help.

Good Luck!