Old 04-16-2009, 06:07 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Impurrfect

((Patrick)))

Though crack is what brought me down, I abused the he!! out of a lot of stuff. For me, it would be too easy for me to get into that trap again. Lots of people survive one addiction, only to find another one, years down the road.

I've just had to accept that any time I find myself wanting to "get out of it" for whatever reason...upset, happy, etc., it's a HUGE red flag. I thought it would mean the rest of my life was going to be dreadfully boring, but it's really not. It's calmer, but then I was living in the 'hood, running from cops

It's got a lot to do with attitude, and I have a good one. I didn't give up anything good...I gave up something that was sucking the life out of me, taking away the things I loved. It didn't all come at once, but it did come.

I'm stubborn..I refuse to live my life as though I'm missing out on something. With what you and I have seen in our jobs, we both know life is too damned short to take it for granted.

What I did, at first, was make a promise that I would throw myself into recovery..can't remember if it was 6 months or a year...give it everything I had. If I hated it, I'd go back to crack. It didn't take even a month or 2 before I knew I wouldn't be going back.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy