View Single Post
Old 04-16-2009, 03:02 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
123bubblegum123
it's a movie, you're the star

John,

I'm a 19 year old college student and can completely relate to where you are at. However, I think once you see how much sobriety can change your life in a positive way, you'll start to realize how low you actually got in reality, as opposed to just comparing your "bottom" to other peoples' "bottoms." I honestly used to believe that I didn't have to quit using because I hadn't lost it all, and that is just a really twisted way to look at it because eventually you will lose it all (more likely than not). Why would I want to risk the whole rest of my life just in a vain attempt prove that either a) I don't really have a problem b) I won't ever be as low as other people were or c) I can do it all on my own and rebel against all the suggestions that haved worked for so many people before me?

A "bottom" is really just when someone decides to quit using/drinking. I think they should change that word, though, because it easily deters younger gals and guys from sticking with the program and enables harder drug users and drinkers to either feel worse about their use or almost better because of the more frequent use they have endured - which is COMPLETELY ridiculous (c.ock fights over who did more of what is not impressive, it's just downright stupid).

Really, what it all boils down to is are you, John (not other people, not your neighbor/mom/cousin/gf/whatever) ready to stop using? Are you ready to change yourself for the better and learn healthy ways of having fun and coping with stress? If you are, kudos to you AND congrats on being smart enough to be young and aware enough to recognize you have a problem.

Rachel