View Single Post
Old 04-16-2009, 01:05 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Horselover

It is an important point and I can honestly tell you I was there myself back in 1990. I was 24 years old. I lived in a big city with my then boyfriend and current husband. We went out drinking after work a few times a week. I did not get into any trouble, but I could feel my drinking spiraling out of control. One night we went out and I can now look back on this and I still feel the shame. We started out as usual at the usual bar, but then the evening didn't end. My bf went home and I continued. I did so many jello shots that I couldn't remember the rest of the night. I somehow got home that night and then got sick all over the place. My bf cleaned up my mess and me. I was so ashamed that when he suggested I go to AA I went without argument.

I went to a meeting that night and got a sponsor and started to do what I needed to do, BUT my alcoholic self pointed all the differences out to me. These people are down and out. They've lost everything. I'm in my 20s and had 1 bad night! I can't be an alcoholic. I'm too young!!

Okay, as you can guess the alcoholic voice won and I quit AA and went on with life. I started eventually drinking at home because that was safe. I didn't have to worry about blacking out and how I made it home. As I said earlier, I put off having kids because I didn't think I could be sober long enough.

I am 42 years old and I became sober for good as of May 2008. The disease doesn't discriminate with age, unfortunately. I was an alcoholic the day I started drinking in high school. I am an alcoholic now and will remain one.

I will tell you what they told me in AA years ago. "Thank God you are smart enough to stop so early. I wish I had because maybe I wouldn't have lost my wife, my husband, my job, my home, my children, my . . ." Fill it in. My God it is not worth it.