View Single Post
Old 04-05-2009, 04:28 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
least
bona fido dog-lover

Alcoholism is progressive. It WILL get worse, no matter how long it takes you to get to that point. It may be sooner or later, but it will happen. And you never know when something awful will happen. It could be any time, but it will happen. I was lucky that nothing awful had happened to me - YET. But I wasn't counting that I had lost the respect of my kids and even my self respect. I didn't like that I had to hide my wine consumption from my kids. If what I was doing was alright, why was I hiding it? It took me months of trying to control my drinking to realize that I could not control it. And then, I had over six months of sobriety when I drank for one day, and found that I felt just as guilty and ashamed and sick as before.

I now have about 50 days sober and intend to stay that way, one sober day at a time. I'm happier now and have my self respect back, as well as the respect of my kids. I have money for things I need cause I'm not spending it on wine. I never have to worry about getting a DUI cause I'm never driving under the influence. I don't have to worry about the damage alcohol does to the body and mind.

Alcohol can do nothing good for me and will do everything bad. I'm glad I stopped drinking. My life is much better now and I intend to keep it that way.