Old 04-03-2009, 05:51 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  
jimhere

Anger is Violence

Originally Posted by Eroica View Post
I don't agree with this. Some of those fundamentalists are using every breath, every ounce of energy to fight socially progressive causes. (like *gay marriage*) They seem like sick people to me, but I'm the one who has to let go of resentments? Are the civil rights activists who fight them in the courts resentful? I don't think so.

I think resentments have nothing to do with alcoholism. These people seem to be very resentful of secularism, but I can't be resentful towards them?

Some degree of resentment is healthy. Only AA says its not. As long as it not eating away at you then theres no problem.

You obviously have no experience with what resentment really is. Resentment is more than the fact that I got angry at the guy who cut me off yesterday. Resentment goes deep. Early on in my recovery I uncovered resentments toward people I hadn't thought of in years. I was thirty-one years old when I got sober. The name of a teacher I had in fifth grade came up. I was ten years old in the fifth grade. This teacher had slapped me in the face in front of the whole class. When her name came up all the feelings of outrage and embarrassment resurfaced. The thoughts of revenge came out. After twenty-one years of not thinking about it, it came back.

In order to recover, I had to have a change of heart or a change of perception, if you will.

You are right, they are sick people. But try changing them. You can protest and fight and rail all you want. I was the one that had to change. What had to change was the way I viewed the world and its people. Yes they are sick, but instead of looking at them with contempt, I have learned to view them with compassion.

You seem to be a follower of Gandhi. I believe said something to the effect of "Be the change you want to see." I can't change the world with anger. All I can do is not contribute to the mess its already in and be a postive force through acts of love & service. I've never seen one biter & cynical person be a force for good in the world.
Jim