View Single Post
Old 04-02-2009, 03:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
ToughChoices
Yield beautiful changes

Not Giving Ourselves Enough Credit

I put a lot of emphasis on and invest a lot of importance in the relationships that bless (or curse ) my life. A lot. I spend a good deal of time thinking about my relationships - my casual friendships, child, lovers (in my case that word really isn't plural - but it sounds SO cosmopolitan, I can't resist!), ex-husband, parents, siblings, BFF's, patients, brothers and sisters-in-law, etc....

I wonder how people are doing.
I ponder conversations that we have had.
I think of gifts they may enjoy or food they might like for me to prepare on their next visit.

I fill much of my time with thoughts of others.

It's gotten to the point that I focus so completely on the success of my relationships, that I fail to recognize other areas of success in my life. Especially when one of my relationships is in disrepair.
I tend to define myself by relationships, and I think this contributes to my tendency towards codependency.

My triumphs in school, at work, or in social organizations seem trivial in comparison to the importance I place on maintaining harmony and goodwill in my relationships. I wonder where I learned this - certainly everyone doesn't hold this same set of values.

I'm inclined to think that my gender has something to do with it - that as a little girl I was told to find the right man, whereas my brothers were told to find the right job.

Today I'm working on being proud of myself for MY accomplishments - specifically those that have NOTHING to do with the people I love;
I'm going to spend some time tooting my horn. :

I have made the dean's list every single semester of Pharmacy school.
I helped organize a very successful silent auction to benefit the Make-A-Wish Foundation.
I was selected for a competitive acute care rotation.
I am consistently praised for my patient counseling skills.
I ran the long leg of a marathon relay recently - and beat my record best time for the 10k.

The end of my marriage doesn't make me a failure - I have a lot of success!

What are some of your personal successes?