View Single Post
Old 04-01-2009, 12:33 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
sfgirl

Gneiss—

While I get what you are saying, I am not sure I would go so far as to say evolutionary advantage. To me that means something that is long-term and widespread where I think that the social advantage of drinking is something that is extremely cultural and can depending on government regulations can shift. It probably even depends on what social circles you move in. I think a prime example is looking at the history of alcohol consumption in Russia which has widely varied with state regulation and different regime changes. I think in the 1900s in Russia there was one point early on where virtually no one drank and then there was another point probably around the 80s where their mortality rate was significantly affected because of widespread alcoholism. In America and Europe we have very similar attitudes towards alcohol and probably precisely because it is socially advantageous to a certain extent we probably have a much higher percentage of alcoholics than a country like India that has numerous states that are completely dry, doesn't really have bars or bar culture. I remember traveling there and one day while I was there it was their independence day, which meant it was a dry day. No where could sell alcohol and I mean no where, I was in ****** and not even the fanciest hotel would serve me cocktails, I had to hustle beer on the black market, which now looking back was a sure sign that I had a problem. I couldn't understand it since in the US alcohol is so interwoven with celebrations and in India for every celebratory holiday no liquor, beer, or wine is allowed to be sold. It is a very different way to look at alcohol. I think it is interesting to think of the role culture and therefore access plays into it all.