View Single Post
Old 03-31-2009, 11:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
CatsPajamas
Forum Leader

A Happy Memory of my Son

Many of us are parents, and many struggle with the pain of knowing that their child is lost somewhere inside an addict or alcoholic's body. It's good to remember that our sons and daughters weren't always A's, and perhaps they will find recovery and we'll see that wonderful, bright person once again as they break free of the bondage of their disease. Miracles happen every day.

I was at the grocery store today, and I saw a woman in the parking lot with her 2 yr old son. He didn't want to hold her hand because "he's a big boy now." It made me smile and remember when I went thru that with my younger son. By age 2 or 2 1/2 he was fiercely independent. He didn't want to hold my hand, either... but I remember telling him that I needed him to hold my hand so I didn't get hit by a car. Somehow, that worked for him. And what made me smile is it was always something he did even as he got older, and has done not so long ago... and he's in his 20's now. The last time he was here for a visit we went to the store, and as we were walking in he put his arm around my shoulder and said, "I wouldn't want you to get hit by a car."

It is a happy memory that I can hold onto, even in the darkest of times. Do you have one you'd like to share?