View Single Post
Old 03-28-2009, 07:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
ultravioletlt

Scared of Changes IF he gets sober...

My husband is an alcoholic who has yet to even admit he has a problem. We haven't been married very long and have a beautiful baby together. His drinking increased dramatically several months ago after a health diagnosis. That part is a long story.

I never imagined my husband would ever be dishonest with me but lately he has been regarding his drinking. He has several health problems in which drinking could actually be very dangerous. His docs have been telling him he must stop drinking and I have been encouraging him for a long time to stop before it is too late. He always agrees with me and says he knows he has to stop and "I will"...but it never happens. He has been feeling horrible physically lately and hasn't left our house for days. He has been drinking heavily every day..which is how he deals with his failing health. I was shocked this afternoon to see him dressed and gathering up the car keys (he hadn't been drinking before driving, however.). I told him I was surprised to see him heading out and he said he wanted to pick up a Sunday paper...even though he was clearly feeling horrible. I knew he was really going out to get more beer and liquor. I just cannot believe it has come to the point in which he is lying to me.

I want him to stop more than anything but I also wonder what we, as a couple, will be like when he isn't drinking. I've never been with him more than a few days without drinking. I LOVE him when he is just "himself", as I say it. But I wonder how he will feel about us as a sober person.

Does this make sense?? Can anyone explain their experiences with this? I pray we can just start a new chapter together and I can get him to admit he has a problem before I lose him.

Clearly, I have many concerns...and my question today is just one of them.

Thank you for reading.