View Single Post
Old 03-25-2009, 09:11 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
HideorSeek

Hi Sugar!

Well, your post resonated with me in a number of ways. When I first joined AA about 4 years ago, I was told to get a sponsor, so I just asked someone I had seen and heard at a few meetings. Over the years, I have "Tailored" my meetings to the ones that work best for me, and unfortunately, they are not the ones she goes to. I have close friends in my "new" groups and plan to seek a sponsor from one of those. My "old" sponsor and I do not have what I envision to be what this relationship is supposed to be like. I call her every day (something she insisted on at the beginning), but it can be months between face to face meetings. I am loathe to tell her I think I need someone new (people pleaser that I am), but I think that this course is what's best for me.

Also, I am away for the winter and so not attending any of "my groups". While here, I have been working on the Steps with Stephanie Covington's text and workbook and have gotten an IMMENSE amount out of them. They are designed specifically for women. Would I have gotten more if I had done it with someone? Probably. But something is better than nothing and I have no problem, once home, doing them again. So my vote is to do it yourself, if you have no other option, with the thought that you can do them again with a guide if need be.

One other thought...there are "step study" groups here on SR. I've never looked at the threads, but perhaps this is another alternative.

Excellent job on tackling these issues! Sounds like you have the "willingness" down pat