Old 03-23-2009, 07:51 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Pelican
peaceful seabird

I attend two different alanon meetings. Different place and practices. One is by the program and I enjoy the structure. That group is mixed with 60/40 woman to man ratio. I have received a couple of hugs there, but only from women I have spoken with before or after a meeting. And one of those ladies is an "energy" hugger. I was caught off guard the first time, but now I am comfortable with it. It is not common for me to find an energy person who can be still and just hug.

Now the other meeting I attend is mostly older women, and one husband. Older as in everyone is retired and most are grand parents. That is a hugging group. They warned me at my first meeting that they were accustomed to hugging after the closing prayer. I realized that most of these women lived alone and this was a way to enjoy human contact in a non threating manner. I was separated from my husband and missed being hugged. I decided after being hugged by those women, and a friendly light hug from the husband in the group, that I was sold on alanon. I liked the hugs. I even joke with them now that I'll keep coming back if I can keep getting those sober hugs!

I have some other senior friends that live alone and I know how important it is to them to count on a hug from me. It's a little thing I am able to give freely that lifts the spirits of someone feeling very alone.

So one meeting, I am guaranteed to get hugs. The other meeting, hugging is elective.