Old 03-23-2009, 09:52 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Bernadette

YES! I remember this from my very first AlAnon meeting and it really bothered me. There was a man who came right up to me after the meeting (which I had just bawled all the way through!) and went to hug me-- and I just put up my hand and said "I'm not into a hug right now! I'm OK." or something like that and his attitude was like-- well you'll come around, which really bothered me. I never went to that meeting again- but I lived in NYC at the time and I already had a week's worth of try-out meetings lined up....so I had a lot to choose from.

I ended up with 2 favorite meetings- one was a lunchtime meeting in the Wall Street area - and it was just like its surroundings "all business" it just wasn't a very "huggy" bunch of people.

The other was a large warm evening meeting and after a few months I gave and received my share of hugs- but only with people I had developed a connection with....

I've seen people shrinking from hugs at meetings and unfortunately the hugger does not pick up on the body language, I've seen assertive people just say very firmly but kindly-- "I'm not a hugger--don't take it personally!"

You can also share about your discomfort at the meeting - if it is a small recurring meeting then people should get the message and it might raise awareness that hugging can be welcome or a turn-off depending on each person's personal preferences. Everyone should be sensitive to that, not everyone is able to say "no thanks" in the moment.

Good luck-- I hope it doesn't keep you from going to AlAnon and getting help!!
peace,
b