Old 03-22-2009, 04:39 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Tom67

Originally Posted by stone View Post
I tend to agree with Dee in that, according to studies "everything" gives you cancer or is harmful these days.

Would drinking less than 20 units a week be worse than eating a lot of fat in your diet, for example? Or not taking enough exercise, or living next to a nuclear power station?

Where I do agree that alcohol is very dangerous even for non-alcoholics is things like accidents, drunk driving, people binging on a weekend and fighting and commiting crime, etc.
well, I think that's kind of an exaggeration to say everything gives you cancer .... consuming a lot of fat would probably not be a good idea... (regardless of your weight), it's not an either or situation just that both are not healthy, and I would not feel comfortable living next to a nuclear power plant no

the alcohol cancer connection makes a lot of sense because larger amounts of alcohol are clearly associated with higher rates of various cancers and disease ... it seems to be a simple dose situation with less alcohol having less of these extreme effects.... this is not a case of wow what a surprise imo, what next... water will be found toxic (beyond quantity or contaminants) ? well, maybe a little because of how much was made of the "heart health" effect but then again doctors used to recommend brands of cigarettes as especially smooth on the throat so...