Old 03-21-2009, 05:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Tom67

Alcohol dangerous for everyone not just alcoholics

I was reading the other thread about drinking in moderation and I think a few times the point was made that drinking in moderation by non alcoholics could be a healthy thing but I think the latest studies on alcohol do not bear this out at all.

Alcohol seems to be very unhealthy even in low doses according to the latest studies which show women's risk for liver cancer increases 24% with just one drink and pancreatic cancer increases ... 60% at 3 drinks for men.

to read the studies just google alcohol and cancer ... the pacreatic cancer study is very new

and there are plenty of other studies bearing this out...these are low alcohol doses, lower than moderate drinking

"The International Agency for Research on Cancer (Centre International de Recherche sur le Cancer) of the World Health Organization has classified alcohol as a Group 1 carcinogen. Its evaluation states, "There is sufficient evidence for the carcinogenicity of alcoholic beverages in humans.… Alcoholic beverages are carcinogenic to humans (Group 1)."[5]

So my question is, why would anyone argue for moderate intake of alcohol consumption for "non alcoholics"?

Take this and combine it with all the inncocent people who are killed and injured by drunk drivers - by the lite drinkers who occasionally overimbid and fall down staircases and incur severe brain injuries... the people hurt through alcohol fueled crimes - I'd say Alcohol is Evil (and I'm not religious). Yes, some people have varying degress of addiction, which is a bad, descructive situation, but, that aside, alcohol is not doing anyone any favors.