View Single Post
Old 03-16-2009, 05:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
NOLAGirl

Thank you to everyone for your kind words. Having a place where I can talk about the situation has allowed me to remain grounded.

I spoke directly with her doctor today and he explained there is no way to survive this stage without a transplant. My mother is also not eligible for a transplant because of her alcoholism.

Her doctor could not give me an exact life expectancy, but he did estimate that it would be a matter of days or weeks. I know people have survived longer as represented by your family member, Kallista - And I hope I have that kind of time. But because my mother is already showing signs of brain damage due to the build up of ammonia, it shouldn't be long.

I'm really scared and not sure how to handle the situation. I'm trying to take each day at a time and focus on remaining calm...But it's so hard because I'm losing one of the most important people in my life. I know that it hurts at any age to lose a loved one to alcoholism, but I just turned 25 and my younger sister is 21; we're not ready to not have a mother. We had a lot of plans, for her to see me get married soon. For her to meet my first born child. To visit me in New Orleans for the first time. And suddenly not any of it is possible. I feel defeated and heart-broken. I fear that I will never be the same after her death.