Thread: Suboxone saga
View Single Post
Old 03-14-2009, 04:40 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
marle

My daughter originally got on suboxone when she was at rehab so the doctor was covered but not the script for the suboxone. That was over $300 a month. Since she had not worked in more than 2 years, we agreed to pay for the suboxone for a year. Since she has gone from 16 mgs. to 6 mgs. that cost is now less than $150 a month. On the other hand, the doctor she sees monthly costs $100 and I swear she spends less than 5 minutes with him. That is a rip-off. Suboxone will be going generic in October so I believe that the cost will go down dramatically. The other part of the equation for my daughter is the p*ss tests. She has to go to the hospital for that part and they cost $250 a month. Right now her insurance is back to the $1000 co-pay so the tests are out of pocket for her. This is where I get p*ssed off. A doctor can prescribe opiates to a patient. That patient does not have to be p*ss tested in order to continue to get scripts for the opiates so the doctor does not know the levels of opiates in their blood. I know that the suboxone doctor tests to make sure his patient is actually using the suboxone and not using other opiates and selling the suboxone, but that is not done with other opiates. It is a catch-22 and one that needs to be changed. Hugs, Marle