Suboxone saga

Old 03-13-2009, 06:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Suboxone saga

AS went to a sub Dr today.
I tell you, its highway robbery. They can charge whatever they want, cash only, insurance helps with the script but not the Doctor.
$200 first visit, $75 per week, every week. They may let him go month to month in time but then he is charged $300/month.

Now, I ask you, how many drug addicts do YOU know that have that kind of cash around?

I fronted the first visit, the weekly is up to him. The script costs $25 so its $100 per week.

I know that's less than one may spend on drugs but does that mean many will have to resort to lying and stealing to pay the doctor?

He's lucky he had a resource...many don't.
And I know many will feel I should have let him find the money, but I'll pitch in to get him started.

Maybe its just me but this seems so crooked.

Wish him luck...he'll be needing it.
Old 03-13-2009, 06:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

We were very luck we found a dr. for our AS who took our insurance so we only had to pay per co-pay of 10.00 a visit and 20.00 for meds. Is that all your insurance will pay or should you find another dr.?:
Old 03-13-2009, 06:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Insurance pays nothing for the visit, according to them. They want cash up front. I thought of getting him to turning it in and trying for reimbursement, but the several places I spoke to said the same as this place.
He looked into a few more Drs but they want the $200 or more upfront as well, which wastes what was already spent.
I may keep looking...thanks!
Old 03-13-2009, 07:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

This all just makes me sick! Yeah, who has that kind of money laying around? Sure, when we were using, we managed to get the money, but most of the times it wasn't by legal and legitimate means.

I have been in a Methadone Maintenance Treatment Program for several years and with my medical issues, I more than likely will be on Methadone indefinately. With my DOC being opiates, taking any other pain meds isn't an option for me. The Addictionologist tried Suboxone with me, but there were no results. But this has lead me to wonder why there aren't Suboxone Clinics like Methadone Clinics? The Clinic I go to is state funded. It costs me a whole $5 a month! That cost just began when the Clinic began closing on weekends and everyone gets take home doses. This helps to cover the cost of the little individual bottles the doses are in. I have to shake my head, there are still some who complain about the $5 a month.

It's terrible that the Dr.'s and pharmaceutical companies can charge these ridicilous costs in order for people to stay clean and sober. There are many meds that I am on for my RA and Lupus that are outrageously priced. I am eternally grateful that some of the drug companies offer a certain amt of low income patients free medications. The one med I take, Humira, is by a bi weekly injection. The cash price per injection is $1,850.00 each! Yeah, let me roll up my pennies for this. There is no way in the world I would have been able to afford this.

I'll keep you and your son in my Prayers,
Judy
Old 03-13-2009, 07:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Have you talked to the insurance program? ABF's insurance covers the doctor and the scripts. I'm sure it depends on the doctor and on the insurance. You're right, it is very expensive. We are lucky that it is covered by ABF's insurance.
Old 03-13-2009, 08:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

After a bit of digging, I uncovered something.

Some insurance companies will pay for psychiatric care for addiction, as well as the script. I'm going to call the hotline during business hours (they have one for substance abuse) and try and get some information.

Would it really kill the doctor to inform the patient of their choices?
They know their options, just would prefer to protect the business I suppose.

This isn't so much about AS, if he wants to follow through bad enough, he'll have the resources (barely).

Its more about many in need of an FDA approved treatment, and private doctor greed.

I guess it hit a nerve in me
Old 03-14-2009, 04:40 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

My daughter originally got on suboxone when she was at rehab so the doctor was covered but not the script for the suboxone. That was over $300 a month. Since she had not worked in more than 2 years, we agreed to pay for the suboxone for a year. Since she has gone from 16 mgs. to 6 mgs. that cost is now less than $150 a month. On the other hand, the doctor she sees monthly costs $100 and I swear she spends less than 5 minutes with him. That is a rip-off. Suboxone will be going generic in October so I believe that the cost will go down dramatically. The other part of the equation for my daughter is the p*ss tests. She has to go to the hospital for that part and they cost $250 a month. Right now her insurance is back to the $1000 co-pay so the tests are out of pocket for her. This is where I get p*ssed off. A doctor can prescribe opiates to a patient. That patient does not have to be p*ss tested in order to continue to get scripts for the opiates so the doctor does not know the levels of opiates in their blood. I know that the suboxone doctor tests to make sure his patient is actually using the suboxone and not using other opiates and selling the suboxone, but that is not done with other opiates. It is a catch-22 and one that needs to be changed. Hugs, Marle
Old 03-14-2009, 04:51 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

cece, they can do whatever they want to (drs.) & say they care. i just don't get it. the system is the same way. addicts & people (sick) are the same,need help but with no money it is just not there. i hope your son can find his way. hugs & prayers,
Old 03-14-2009, 05:28 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

cece, Here is a link to a good site about suboxone. The forum is especially helpful. Buprenorphine treatment and opioid addiction resources from The National Alliance of Advocates for Buprenorphine Treatment Doctors are allowed to have I believe 2 or 3 patients receiving free suboxone if they qualify. Hugs, Marle
Old 03-14-2009, 05:46 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
remember to breathe

Originally Posted by marle View Post
. Suboxone will be going generic in October so I believe that the cost will go down dramatically.
That's great news. I do believe it should be free and so should methadone.

I do believe the people that come up with prices and how a detox and rehab should work, has never been touched by addiction.
Old 03-14-2009, 05:53 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Cece, it breaks my heart to read posts like yours, and others here who cannot get proper treatment or good health care of any kind because of money.

We Canadians are lucky that most of this is covered, either through our regular health care (doctor visits) or through social benefits for those below a certain income (prescribed medications).

I pray that your country gets better health care for ALL soon, including especially the poor, the addicted and those who cannot care for themselves.

Hugs to you and prayers for your son. :ghug3
Old 03-14-2009, 11:41 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

My AS has no insurance other than a small discount on medications provided all uninsured people in our county. J's suboxone runs $180 per month and his doctor visits cost $45 per monthly visit. At his most recent visit he had a UA that cost an additional $35. His doctor said that only one-fourth of his subs patients were clean. His doc does spend time with Jon, counseling a little and discussing his overall health. J has a job now and pulls 10 hours on some days. He pays for his meds and doctor visits.

It is amazing that the doctor's fees and medications are so different across the USA and beyond.
Old 03-14-2009, 02:37 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

A doctor can take up to 100 patients. So in the case of my daughter's doctor 100 patients times $100 dollars a month equals $120,000 a year in just suboxone patients. He also sees other pain management patients so this man is raking in the money. And I believe that in order to prescribe the suboxone they take an 8 hour training course. Tidy little profit from people's pain, wouldn't you say. Hugs, Marle
Old 03-14-2009, 05:45 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I agree some of the prices here are way extreme. I do not, however, agree that it should be free or even cheap, necessarily. My XABF used Suboxone to get off of Oxycontin. I can tell you that he was spending a LOT more that $300/month on drugs off the street, in addition to his prescription. I don't think the Suboxone sould be so expensive that it requires stealing..............but I also don't think it should be so cheap that they take it for granted and don't appreciate the true help it can be. JMHO...........
Old 03-14-2009, 09:35 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

My AD started on Suboxone once again 2 weeks ago. $400.00 first month, $300 the second month and $200 every month after. Insurance pays for script and testing. She (I mean I) got a $300 discount. Most all doctors in this area are like this, and if not they have no openings. I paid for the first 3 months, and all I can say is she better get a job for the rest. I have paid out all the money for Her addiction that I am going to. I really am a great enabler, but this boundary does not get crossed again.

I am a supporter of the suboxone program, but I think it only works if you are working on the emotional side of addiction. And I think they have to work very hard on themselves while on the medication for the physical aspects. Its not as easy as just taking a pill. Its learning to live life NOT on drugs. Changing your thinking and taking responsiblity. Thats the hard part for my daughter. Daily living is the hardest thing for her. Getting up, getting kids ready, getting thru day. Routine stuff seems to overwhelm her.

Gotahavfaith
Old 03-14-2009, 10:53 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

((((Cece)))) I'm sorry, You know what I've gone through to stay on my meds so I can completely understand. I it uncomprehendable what we have to go through to get and/or
stay on our meds. I wish and have tried many times to not have to depend on my stupid meds, it just doesn't work. They don't make it easy. Just tell him to keep fighting, and not give up no matter what that is what I always have to do, every time. Otherwise I'd be right back out there. FWIW part of what has helped me fight is the encouragedment I've gotten from here and you guys when it has happened because it gets so frustrating. So I think you are awesome for helping him... But you know I think your awesome anyway...... : ]
Old 03-15-2009, 01:41 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=cece1960;2148072]

I fronted the first visit, the weekly is up to him. The script costs $25 so its $100 per week.

Now, I ask you, how many drug addicts do YOU know that have that kind of cash around?QUOTE]

Considering $100 a day is probably closer to the typical cost of sustaining an opiate addiction, subs sound like a bargain.
Old 03-15-2009, 01:44 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Restoring myself to sanity

After reading some of your posts I will never again complain about how much my AH is paying for his Suboxone..

My AH has been taking Suboxone since the end of October and it has literally been a God send because he has almost 5 months clean time...

I'm very fortunate that my insurance covers suboxone... My AH has to go see his Dr. every two weeks where she only charges him a 25.00 co pay for each visit... so thats 50.00 a month. She only writes out a subsription of the suboxone for two weeks at at time.. I wish she would write it out for a whole month but she says she cant because it's considered a controlled substance..

So my AH gets a script filled for the suboxone every two weeks and since there is no generic form we have to pay a 30.00 copay every two weeks..

On top of suboxone, my AH also is prescribed seroquel which is 30.00 a month, topomax which is another 30.00 a months and paxil which thank God has a generic so he only has to pay 15.00 a month..

I figure we pay about 185.00 a months in prescriptions and Dr visits... it's 185.00 we do not have but i figure my AH was spending way more then this on pills a month when he was using... he was probably spending this amount weekly to tell you the truth..
Old 03-15-2009, 02:25 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

jerect, My daughter gets a month's supply at each visit. So I don't think that is the law. Sounds more like the doctor wants to keep your husband paying for the office visits. You should check into that. Hugs, Marle
Old 03-15-2009, 05:40 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by anvilhead View Post
recovery is hard work. should be, the harder we have to work at, the more effort we put in, the more return we will get, the stronger our recovery will be.
I agree, in fact I can't disagree that you make a VERY valid point.
However...
The FDA has discovered something that they think may help. And although the 48 year old mind of mine agrees with you, I am a mother of a 23 year old that hasn't quite figured it out. And if this is a way for him to find his answers, really, do you blame me?
I know ideally, all addicts would go through all the years of pain and all the years of "getting it", but if there is a way of clearing the mind to allow for sound decisions...I'm for it.
He has a ticket...I'm hoping for the best.
In the end, its about what worked, isn't it?