Old 03-08-2009, 12:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
jsml1234

Originally Posted by chris11 View Post
Passages is selling a book on TV called The Alcoholism and Addiction Cure which they say is an effective alternative to 12 step programs. Does anybody know if their method works?
Hi Chris
I've suggested this book before. "The Alcoholism and Addition Cure" by Chris Prentiss. He wrote this book and started his own treatment center 'Passages Addiction Cure Center in Malibu, California' after his son became hooked on heroin and alcohol. (stealing from family, all the lies, relapses, beatings by dealers and mult treatment centers)
Big controversy surrounding one of this treatment centers core beliefs-alcoholism and addiction is not a disease. He makes good arguement against this in the first few chapters of the book. Not sure that really matters anyway, although it probably upsets a lot of established entities. Like most self-help books, I think you take what works for you and leave out what doesn't. And heck, for a $15 book it has been well worth it.
Without giving it a whole lot of credit to my short lived sobriety, it has helped to give me hope and insight into my dependency and tools to use. For example:
Ch 5 'The 4 Causes Of Dependency'
Cause 1: Chemical imbalance
Cause 2: Unresolved events from the past
Cause 3: Beliefs you hold that are inconsistent with what is true
Cause 4: Inability to cope with current conditions
Google it and you can read the entire first chapter online to see if it sparks your interest.