Old 03-07-2009, 11:09 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
sfgirl

Wow, so many people here have so long. I'm impressed and awed. Hopefully, I will make it too.

A few weeks over 5 months

Sometimes I call my program the "reading program" because I am always reading about recovery or alcoholism or people's experiences here on SR. In a way i don't think it is that dissimilar from AA since it really is a synthesis of different stories. I'll read memoirs, self-help, workbooks, histories, science books, anything. Currently reading: Not God by Ernest Kurtz, an intellectual history of AA, and The Alcoholic Society by Norman Denzin, a comprehensive study of how people live and experience alcoholism by a sociologist. They are both really interesting and I recommend them.

Program: therapist twice a week, reading, naltrexone, topamax (taken for migraines but mentioning since there has been evidence that it cuts down on cravings for alcohol although I never experienced this while actively drinking), exploring all methods, gone to a couple meetings— one AA, one LifeRing, keeping an open mind, thinking about (not really working) the twelve steps — but I really do like a lot of the 12 step concepts and felt many of them happened to me without me even "working them" if that makes any sense at all...