View Single Post
Old 03-05-2009, 09:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
KenL

Hi Marty,

I too watched a movie with my daughters tonight. I don't get to see them all of the time so when I do I give them extra lovin'.

I sometimes wonder what it would be like if I learned in the future that one or more of my daughters became alcoholic. Pushing aside all the theories of disease and aquirement, I would wonder if it was something they learned from watching me. I would also wonder if there would be anything I could do to help them live a sober life. I think that I would feel pretty upset with myself if I found all this out in the coming years and I was still getting drunk.

But the truth is I'm not still getting drunk. Now they see me spending more time with them. They see me exercising regulary when they come to my house. They also see me eating healthy food and avoiding things that are bad for me. The weird thing though is that they haven't noticed that I've quit drinking. At least they haven't said anything in regards to my quitting. I didn't announce my intentions to them. But that's ok because I'd rather have them never remember seeing me drink anyway. And if they do become an alcoholic in the future, they'll have a sober dad who can say "I was there too sweetie, and I can help you get better."

Do what you need to to stay sober Marty. The benefits reach well beyond ourselves.

Thanks for the thread and the inspiration.

Ken