Notices

Friday Afternoon

Old 03-05-2009, 08:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Friday Afternoon

Hi All, I am on my 5th day and feeling ok (first 4 were terrible) Its Friday afternoon and I am dreading the weekend. Please wish me the best to keep strong
Old 03-05-2009, 08:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Keep strong, you can do it.

Every day you will feel so much better.

For me, after 6 weeks sober, the weekends are amazing, certainly not something to dread.

The days seem so much longer and more enjoyable when you are sober, with a clear head.

Keep strong, you'll love the way you're going to start to feel.
Old 03-05-2009, 08:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

Congrats on your decision to get Clean & Sober! Trust me, you are in for a life even more beautiful than you can ever imagine. Sure, it's tough in the beginning, I'm not going to lie to you, weekends especially.

Have you been to any Meetings? If not, this weekend would be the perfect time. If you've never been to one, rest assured that if you don't want to speak, you don't have to. You can do like a lot of us do, take the first seat as you walk through the do so you can skip out as soon as it's over! lol

Seriously, AA is so much more than the Meetings themselves. I have made so many friendships in AA that I would have never had the opportunity to meet these people if it weren't for AA. With spring and summer right around the corner, there are so many activities that AA has to keep you as busy as you want to be. Softball/baseball leagues, cookouts, bike runs, camping . . . all kinds of things to do without drinking or using dope.

Alot of us hang out here over the weekend. Just keep things simple, don't overwhelm yourself by saying that you aren't going to drink at all this weekend. This is where the One Day at A Time comes into play. When you get up Friday morning, just tell yourself that you aren't going to drink/drug that day. Same with Sat, Sun. . . .

I'm glad you found us, keep sharing as much as you are comfortable with and welcome to the SR Family!

God Bless,
Judy
Old 03-05-2009, 08:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for your support and wishes, I going to take my daughters to the movies tonight (they haven't seen dad sober on a friday night for years) and tomorrow I plan to hook up with a mate i know from AA, Im sure I will spend a lot of my weekend here.
Thanks so much
Old 03-05-2009, 09:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Marty,

I too watched a movie with my daughters tonight. I don't get to see them all of the time so when I do I give them extra lovin'.

I sometimes wonder what it would be like if I learned in the future that one or more of my daughters became alcoholic. Pushing aside all the theories of disease and aquirement, I would wonder if it was something they learned from watching me. I would also wonder if there would be anything I could do to help them live a sober life. I think that I would feel pretty upset with myself if I found all this out in the coming years and I was still getting drunk.

But the truth is I'm not still getting drunk. Now they see me spending more time with them. They see me exercising regulary when they come to my house. They also see me eating healthy food and avoiding things that are bad for me. The weird thing though is that they haven't noticed that I've quit drinking. At least they haven't said anything in regards to my quitting. I didn't announce my intentions to them. But that's ok because I'd rather have them never remember seeing me drink anyway. And if they do become an alcoholic in the future, they'll have a sober dad who can say "I was there too sweetie, and I can help you get better."

Do what you need to to stay sober Marty. The benefits reach well beyond ourselves.

Thanks for the thread and the inspiration.

Ken
Old 03-05-2009, 09:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by marty888 View Post
(they haven't seen dad sober on a friday night for years)
This is going to be their (and your) best Friday in a long time. Congratulations on deciding on recovery

Old 03-05-2009, 09:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Welcome to SR, Marty! Congrat's on day 5!
Old 03-05-2009, 09:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Welcome!!!
Old 03-05-2009, 10:51 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks so much for your support all just going to leave for the movies now, I feeling good. I am sure I will be on over the weekend for more help.
Ken I not sure what I would do if either of them turned out alcoholic, I guess with me I saw it in my grandparents and then my parents. I really want to break that cycle.
Old 03-06-2009, 06:35 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
It's time to change!

You can..... just NOT alone!
Old 03-06-2009, 06:42 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome Marty! Hope you had a great time at the movies. And just think you will remember what you saw!
Old 03-06-2009, 06:58 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

congratulations! I know what it's like to dread the weekends, they can seem so long but as someone else mentioned that can be a wonderful thing, there are so many things you will realize that you haven't done in so long that are fun, healthy things to do. Just keep busy check in here, keep posting and enjoy your family! I bet you will be amazed on how wonderful your sober weekend turns out to be, and your children will love it!
Old 03-06-2009, 02:50 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi All, Thanks for your support had a good night, even if my girls (14 & 11) were a bit more into the "chick flick" than me !!!
First saturday morning without needing a beer for a long long time.
I am planning on keeping as busy as I can today and will make sure I check in over the rest of the weekend.
Everyone stay strong.