View Single Post
Old 05-01-2002, 08:27 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
nico

Hi,
I'm new to this forum and I love a good debate/discussion.

I am not against support groups except for the side effect of becoming dependant on them. I don't think that it is necessary to be labeled "alcoholic" forever either. It was for me, necessary to move on and grow in other directions. I never considered my group as a substitute for my family, nor did I feel that I was more understood by them than by other important people in my life. There was an aspect of my life (love of drugs and alcohol)that was understood by them. I also felt that the character defects that are important in the program to address are no different from the moral failings and personality quirks of the rest of the population and that there was a certain elitism and "us and them" aspect I found difficult to accept.

Once I had made up my mind that drinking or drugs were no longer an option, I felt very free. I placed my life in God's hands but felt that I was responsible for quitting drinking - my life was becoming unmanageable but I was not powerless. I felt morally, that God gave me free will to make decisions and choices. I love being in control of myself again (for several years now). If the steps help a person to have a better relationship with God then go for it. I do disagree with the "powerless" aspect of step 1 however, as well as the controversial "disease" aspect.

I was fortunate to still have a life that was relatively intact at the time I made my choice to abstain. I try not to ask God for much but I thank Him for everything and for reminding me that I do have choices and am not a victim of a disease - just an imperfect human being striving to do better.

[This message has been edited by nico (edited May 01, 2002).]