View Single Post
Old 03-03-2009, 08:22 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
kj3880

I think that it can vary. I've been with an addict/alcoholic that had a really good work ethic and was fairly kind and generous even though he drank and used every day. He never missed work, and always helped around the house. That's just the way he was raised. We were together for 3 years and broke up when I was in recovery. I just couldn't be around the drinking/using anymore. But he was a good guy in many ways.

But in recovery, I met and dated a very lazy man for about 2 months, that I've often talked about on here. He was in recovery, but didn't want to move a finger, constantly asking for help with things he should do for himself, such as laundry, getting a snack or drink, typing a resume, running errands...just lazy. Couldn't keep a job. He was raised by a woman who treated him like a little prince, cleaning up behind him all day, constantly plying him with treats and soda, gave him an allowance for doing no tasks at all. IMO, that's the worst thing you do to your kids, or one of them anyway.

KJ