View Single Post
Old 03-03-2009, 06:57 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
sailorjohn

Originally Posted by anvilhead View Post
i believe that often drugs get WAY too much credit, kinda like the asterisk on home run records. we can use it as an "excuse" for irresponsible, self centered, juvenile behavior...."well he cant' really help himself, he's a drug addict after all and just missed out on those living skills and proper modes of conduct"

THHHPPPPPPPP. we ain't talking about performing brain transplants with no training and a butter knife....we're talking about acting like grown ups. about being responsible productive members of society, about keeping our hands and feet to ourselves, sharing our toys, and keeping our cubby organized.

and it all comes back around to US, and our boundaries, and what we deem acceptable behavior and how we teach people to treat US. and not buying into anyone else's

Yeah, I've had a bit of difficulty with this, problem being that speculating for any length was taking the focus off my behavior and putting it on theirs, which I can't afford to do. And possibly even feeding denial, thinking that they were really capable of doing the right thing while they were in active addiction, I could somehow guilt/cajole/manipulate them into seeing the error of their ways.

I've finally gotten to the point where I can accept that they will always put the addiction first, and try to act accordingly. They are just doing what addicts do, after all is said and done.