View Single Post
Old 03-02-2009, 08:45 AM
  # 353 (permalink)  
Jeffro44

Hi...a couple of things that may help. I would keep a canine toothbrush kit easily accesible at all times to use immediately upon your discovery of the well...the crap eating. After you gently but thoroughly brush your dog's teeth and mouth (theres one you can get that slips on your finger like a rubber) I would begin to teach your puppers what a "time out" is.

Fortunately I've had enough sobriety in the past, that I was able to volunteer at my local SPCA as a dog walker. The most effective way to train a dog is using the reward system. If you have a crate for transporting your animal I would use it as your time out location immediately after brushing your dogs teeth. Another great time out deal is to simply turn your back. I used to stand in the corner with the dogs at the shelter so they had NO WAY to get my attention. (a good one for jumping dogs)

Another thing that I think has been most helpful to me in dog walking is the "leave it!" command. This is taught to a dog by extending a closed hand holding a small treat between your fingers so that when you open your and it does not fall out. As soon as the dog starts for the hand, close it and tell him "leave it" one time. Open your hand again...it will only take about 3-4 times and as soon as your dog looks away from the hand when you open it...immediately reward with the other hand, which is also holding a treat secretively and PRAISE PRAISE PRAISE! MAYBE, you can begin to work on catching this before you see it coming and in the same tone...just work on "leave it"

I have to admit that I am not familiar with this condition but remember...patience. Good luck, I hope this helps...