Old 02-26-2009, 09:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
prodigal

Originally Posted by Glenna9802 View Post
I don't know what to attribute this to--the fact that he drank less than his usual amount last night, the fact that he has hydrocodone or something else. But it was bizarre, and he was extremely irritable and almost out of it afterwards in a small way.
I have been on hydrocodone when I passed a few gall stones and kidney stones. From my own experience, I doubt I could have rolled my eyeballs from side to side, let alone ripped out an I.V. Bizarre, yes. He was drugged, although I have no idea at what dosage. H-codone usually makes one very passive and dopey. Perhaps it was lack of alcohol.

Originally Posted by Glenna9802 View Post
Life is just so strange living with an alcoholic. The drama never ends.
Indeed it is. I look at it from the perspective of bizarre, as in "The Twilight Zone." No, the drama and living-on-the-edge never ends with an A. That's why we usually leave in order to seek peace and sanity.

Regarding psychiatric evaluations; I can tell you I tried to get my AH locked up in 10/07; however, although a psychologist and psychiatrist found him to be delusional and paranoid, they could not attribute it to his state of mind. All they knew was he had been drunk for three weeks straight. In Arizona, being crazy by virtue of drinking oneself to that point is not grounds for commitment. On the other hand, in South Dakota the law states that an A can be committed if behaving in a manner that is considered "psychotic" even if it's alcohol-induced. It varies in every state.

I don't know where you live, but if your state has statutes that allow for an A to be institutionalized on the grounds of the addiction, they can do it. If not, they will release him after he detoxes.

Hang in there. I've lived through this and I know that it is very difficult and draining.