AH having psychiatric evaluation as I type this

Old 02-26-2009, 12:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

AH having psychiatric evaluation as I type this

AH is over at a nearby psychiatric hospital having an evaluation, sent there by his primary doctor because of his "ADHD." I am familiar with this hospital, and they are a wonderful treatment center for substance abuse, but I don't even know if AH will speak of that. I wish they would admit him, but I know it's out of my hands. Someone suggested I call over there while he's there and "tip them off," but I know I can't do that. I have to detach.

This morning, before this evaluation, he went to have his CAT scan done for the kidney stones. When he got back he was acting all weird and said he got tired of waiting in the lobby with the IV in for contrast, and he pulled out the IV on his own and bled on the floor and got into an altercation with the staff and stormed out. I don't know what to attribute this to--the fact that he drank less than his usual amount last night, the fact that he has hydrocodone or something else. But it was bizarre, and he was extremely irritable and almost out of it afterwards in a small way.

Life is just so strange living with an alcoholic. The drama never ends. Every morning I read my "Just For Today" bookmark about getting through this one day only and making the best of it, but some days are tougher than others.

Thanks for listening.
Old 02-26-2009, 12:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good for him. Hope he finds help.

Now --- what nice thing are you going to do for yourself today, Glenna? I like to build one thing into every day that makes me feel stronger. What one little thing could you do that would give you that boost?
Old 02-26-2009, 04:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well, I cleaned the apartment today while AH was gone, and it did make me feel a lot better.

I know I have a lot to learn. Please bear with me.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Glenna9802 View Post
I don't know what to attribute this to--the fact that he drank less than his usual amount last night, the fact that he has hydrocodone or something else. But it was bizarre, and he was extremely irritable and almost out of it afterwards in a small way.
I have been on hydrocodone when I passed a few gall stones and kidney stones. From my own experience, I doubt I could have rolled my eyeballs from side to side, let alone ripped out an I.V. Bizarre, yes. He was drugged, although I have no idea at what dosage. H-codone usually makes one very passive and dopey. Perhaps it was lack of alcohol.

Originally Posted by Glenna9802 View Post
Life is just so strange living with an alcoholic. The drama never ends.
Indeed it is. I look at it from the perspective of bizarre, as in "The Twilight Zone." No, the drama and living-on-the-edge never ends with an A. That's why we usually leave in order to seek peace and sanity.

Regarding psychiatric evaluations; I can tell you I tried to get my AH locked up in 10/07; however, although a psychologist and psychiatrist found him to be delusional and paranoid, they could not attribute it to his state of mind. All they knew was he had been drunk for three weeks straight. In Arizona, being crazy by virtue of drinking oneself to that point is not grounds for commitment. On the other hand, in South Dakota the law states that an A can be committed if behaving in a manner that is considered "psychotic" even if it's alcohol-induced. It varies in every state.

I don't know where you live, but if your state has statutes that allow for an A to be institutionalized on the grounds of the addiction, they can do it. If not, they will release him after he detoxes.

Hang in there. I've lived through this and I know that it is very difficult and draining.
Old 02-27-2009, 04:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks Prodigal. Yes, I do believe now that it was the lack of alcohol that made him behave this way. He was incredibly irritable and yelling at everyone and being totally irrational, but yesterday afternoon he got his pint of vodka and shortly after was making jokes and behaving like his "regular" self.

He got a referral to see a psychiatrist today at 10am. I'm sure he won't bring up the alcoholism at all because it would interfere with him getting his stimulant.
Old 02-27-2009, 05:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

well, if it makes you feel any better, my AH has decided that his insomnia (from drinking in my opinion) will be cured by sleeping pills. it's a good thing i know he is too lazy to actually go and get some.

mine becomes manic without drink. hyperactive. i don't know what's worse, the manic him or the drunk him. a couple of drinks, and he's pleasant for the short term.
Old 02-27-2009, 01:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Glenna,

We were told that the stimulents used for the treatment of ADHD can contribute to alcoholism/drug abuse. It is a tough call when there is no focus and no impulse control if the meds aren't used. Hang in there.
Old 02-27-2009, 02:34 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks!! The doctor saw him for all of 5 minutes and prescribed a drug called "Vyvanse," which is basically an amphetamine. The alcohol was never mentioned during the appointment. So that should be tons of fun on top of the drinking
Old 02-27-2009, 02:40 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

So Glenna, what are you going to do to help yourself? Obviously your AH is going to keep on doing what's he's been doing. You get to decide what you want going forward and what you are going to do to get to where you want to be.
Old 02-27-2009, 02:44 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks Barbara. Here is my plan right now:

1. Continue Al-Anon. I have a sponsor now and will begin working the steps. I feel a change even just in the two weeks I've been going and can't wait to see what other changes occur.

2. Continue sobriety. Tomorrow will be 2 weeks since I've had a drink, and honestly it's been wonderful. I feel so much more clear-headed and productive.

3. Tomorrow I start the nicotine patch. I smoke a pack a day and want to quit SO BADLY!! I can't wait to slap one of those bad boys on my arm.

4. Detach, detach, detach and stop trying to control everything. I am responsible for myself and my children, and whatever that entails is what I am concerned with now.