View Single Post
Old 02-23-2009, 02:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
digderidoo

Been told i am dry, rather than sober.

Yes that's what i've been told by my sponsor because i went to my first AA meeting for six weeks tonight.

To put you in the picture the last couple of days i have felt a bit stressed. I have met this girl about 3 weeks ago, we haven't as to yet slept together, i do not know whether it will be a good thing to. You see she has a boyfriend. We have met up a few times, she is the one pushing it more than me, reckons she has never done anything like this before and ultimately thinking of finishing with him.

Mad thing is we get on fantastically, but i do not want to go any deeper than friendship at the moment as i do not want to be responsible for her break up. Which inevitably will put pressure on things with us. So we had a good chat last night, ultimately today i am thinking about cooling things off.

Anyways, this gets me around to today. I haven't been to a meeting for around 6 weeks, i have posted here how i feel as though i growing out of AA, which i see the thread is still active lol.

In this time i have rang my sponsor around 3 or 4 times. He hasn't answered the phone, which i guess is down to work, but on the same token he has never rang me back. I have had a good six weeks or so, had peace of mind, not felt stressed and generally feel good about my sobriety.

This morning after feeling a bit stressed over the situation i thought i will phone him. We had a small chat, he was at work, but said to ring him tonight. So tonight i went to a meeting, really enjoyed it. It was a first step at the same room i went to mine in January of last year, so kind of reminded me of where i was back then.

I have got my answers, i am going to put an end to what's already started with this girl. If she does split with her boyfriend then i would like to get to know her as we do get on well and i am attracted to her. But i can only do that if she is single.

Anyway i decided to phone my sponsor and to be honest i wished i hadn't have bothered. I felt quite good about things when i phoned and came off the phone not feeling too good. He told me that it was a bad idea to start any sort of relationship being only 9 months sober, even though i had said i was going to knock it on the head.

He then seemed more interested into why i hadn't been to a meeting or been in touch. Which i had been in touch, he must have had missed calls on his mobile. I said to him that there are other ways to maintain sobriety, than just throwing myself into a spiritual program. That there must be as other people do it and the AA isn't for everyone. I was very frank and honest about how i felt about AA. Even though for me AA can help, which it has done tonight. The conversation ended with him saying he doesn't know what to say to my thoughts on AA, that rather than being sober for all these weeks, i am just dry and that people who don't go to AA are just dry drunks.

Thoughts please. Thanks in advance.

Paul