View Single Post
Old 02-21-2009, 01:51 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Katie09

Originally Posted by Impurrfect View Post
(((Katie)))

To answer your original question, you can be charged with "being present where drugs are used, kept or sold"...been there, done that, a few times.

I'm a recovering crack addict, so obviously I wouldn't allow anyone with crack even NEAR me. However, I don't allow anyone to bring recreational drugs around me.

FWIW, I was abusing pain pills..had never touched crack, was terrified of it because, as an RN, I had seen people DIE from it. I hooked up with a guy from AA, who smoked it, but had a few weeks clean. He moved in, within a few weeks was smoking it. Another few weeks, he had me so stressed out, I decided to try it. Two days later, I did something stupid that led to a criminal charge and the loss of my nursing license and my spiral into crack addiction. I'm not saying you will follow my path, just telling you my story.

I take my recovery seriously and I expect other people to respect that. I can't control what people do in their home, or car, but I can control what they do in MY home or car.

I do believe, that as a recovering addict, I should reach out to help another addict who wants help. However, if someone is smoking crack, they are not reaching out for help. When I was still smoking...help was the farthest thing from my mind. All you can think about is getting MORE crack.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy

Amy, I am so sorry this happened to you. I too let an active crack user move in with me. I met him in AA and he really was trying to get clean. He'd use once every three weeks so I though somehow it was ok to be with him, he was really trying, etc.

It didn't cost me what it cost you (and I am so very sorry your lost your license) and he never brought the drug into my house. He went on these runs and would just be gone. One night he called me and told me he'd been arrested for solicitation of a prostitute. ( Here is how naive I was - we went to an SLAA meeting one night and I sat there wondering what on earth we were sitting there for.) I thought it was a joke, realized it was true, and threw him out. Time passed, I let him back in. Then his sponsor called me to tell me what he was doing. That was it. I threw him out again and that was the end of it.

I suppose at this point I should be more savvy. Maybe I am just so lonely (ok, fessing up here) that I'll have someone like this person in my life just to have ANYONE there. Pathetic, I know, but I guess it's come to this. Time for me to only associate with people who do not use anything. Thanks for sharing your story.