If someone smokes crack in my house...

Old 02-21-2009, 06:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

If someone smokes crack in my house...

I think most people who smoke crack are secretive about it, but the other night this person came over and smoked crack in my house. Could I get arrested for this? I am naive in matters around illegal drugs, even though I have my own drinking issue.
Old 02-21-2009, 06:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My question to you is why is this person in your life in the first place, and are there no boundaries in your home?
Old 02-21-2009, 07:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Freedom1990 View Post
My question to you is why is this person in your life in the first place, and are there no boundaries in your home?
I know the person. I have my own drinking issue and perhaps am trying not to be too judgmental here. My original question is could I be arrested.
Old 02-21-2009, 07:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

My original question is could I be arrested.
Yes. I wouldn't expect a crack addict to tell the police when they come in your house...take me, it wasn't the owner of the premises involved in any way and she couldn't tell I was using illegal substances in her house even though I was smoking right in front of her, nor would I expect the cops to believe that.
Old 02-21-2009, 07:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by anvilhead View Post
any illegal activity is subject to arrest. i'd highly recommend you establish boundaries about what is acceptable in your own home. LAST thing you want is for someone to hand YOU the pipe.........crack is an evil drug and extremely hard to quit.
Thanks, this is the first time it's ever happened. For some reason, I keep getting involved with people who smoke crack, but they never do it around me. This was a first. I have pretty strong boundaries around it. I have had it pushed on me and always said no. I ended up emailing him inviting him to a meeting. I figure both of us getting on track is the only way things might work. Funny, I never heard back...
Old 02-21-2009, 07:26 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Katie09 View Post
For some reason, I keep getting involved with people who smoke crack
Katie, you might want to think about this statement a little deeper. Could it be that it did bother your recovery more than you're saying and you turned the question into a legal one instead of a recovery question? If you are in recovery then being around others in active addiction of anykind can escalate a fall. You might want to protect yourself from temptation by making a boundary that you dont associate with people who use.
Old 02-21-2009, 07:29 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

As a person who has several crack addicts in my life I can tell you I am sure you do not want to become involved with someone who smokes crack. Believe me they will put you through hell....
Old 02-21-2009, 07:39 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Back when I used to attend AA meeting with my AD, I was stunned when I heard/learned how many people had progressed from having "drinking issues" to crack.

It was always the same story......they somehow kept getting involved with people who smoked crack and one day decided "what the heck..... just this once".

No crack in my house is a good boundary. Not associating with anyone who smokes crack is a stronger boundary. This is not passing judgement on them or trying to control them. It's all about you and your boundaries for yourself.
Old 02-21-2009, 07:49 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by winnie12 View Post
Katie, you might want to think about this statement a little deeper. Could it be that it did bother your recovery more than you're saying and you turned the question into a legal one instead of a recovery question? If you are in recovery then being around others in active addiction of anykind can escalate a fall. You might want to protect yourself from temptation by making a boundary that you dont associate with people who use.
Yes, my recovery really got derailed to the extent the police were called to my house when I was in a blackout with this person. I hadn't had a drink for a few weeks. One night I was really irritated and thought...I am tired of this. Just one bottle of wine. Two days later I was in a blackout with this guy, two days later the cops came (another blackout) and then I stepped back. Until Thursday night and that is when he came over and the crack pipe came out. Now here I am asking him to go to AA with me (as he goes as he likes it). I know the sensible thing is to RUN away fast, and I won't see him again unless he agrees to go to a meeting.
Old 02-21-2009, 07:50 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I would set a very strong rule. NO CRACK. Taking it further I would break off all contact. From my own experience, they will lie, manipulate and steal anything of value. Yes, you can be arrested and by hanging around with crack addicts you could very well be setting yourself for trouble
Old 02-21-2009, 08:00 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Katie i'm glad to see you looking at this with eyes wide open. You know what you need to do for yourself. Its hard but you can do it.
Old 02-21-2009, 08:00 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Yes, my recovery really got derailed to the extent the police were called to my house when I was in a blackout with this person. I hadn't had a drink for a few weeks. One night I was really irritated and thought...I am tired of this. Just one bottle of wine. Two days later I was in a blackout with this guy, two days later the cops came (another blackout) and then I stepped back. Until Thursday night and that is when he came over and the crack pipe came out. Now here I am asking him to go to AA with me (as he goes as he likes it). I know the sensible thing is to RUN away fast, and I won't see him again unless he agrees to go to a meeting.
I take people to meetings who want recovery and are working a program, not people who 'like it' but still smoke crack.

People who actively drink are not welcome in my home, and people who actively use drugs are not welcome in my home.

You might want to re-evaluate just how serious you are about your own recovery because it doesn't sound like a priority to me.
Old 02-21-2009, 08:03 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I agree with Freedom on this one... It certainly does not seem like recovery is on the radar.
Old 02-21-2009, 08:05 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Freedom1990 View Post
I take people to meetings who want recovery and are working a program, not people who 'like it' but still smoke crack.

People who actively drink are not welcome in my home, and people who actively use drugs are not welcome in my home.

You might want to re-evaluate just how serious you are about your own recovery because it doesn't sound like a priority to me.
Thanks for your input and, with all due respect, you don't know me so you are in no position to evaluate my priorities.
Old 02-21-2009, 08:06 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I wanted to add one more thing. I was who I hung with. Before I relapsed after 4 years clean/sober, I started surrounding myself with some very unhealthy people. Most of them were chronic relapsers who bounced in and out of recovery like a rubber ball.

If you go to the barbershop long enough, you will get a haircut.

Today I choose to surround myself with healthy people, people in recovery who are working to better themselves and set an example for me of where I want to go in life.
Old 02-21-2009, 08:14 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bugsworth View Post
I agree with Freedom on this one... It certainly does not seem like recovery is on the radar.
Well, let's hope you are incorrect. This is a message forum. None of us use our real names. None of us know each other IRL. As such, it's really impossible to reach out and get a handle on someone's fate.

I have a Dr. I've been working with for five years towards my recovery. He hasn't given up on me. I have a therapist I've been working with for over a year. She hasn't given up on me. They both know me. Having said this, I am going to take a break from SR. This forum is about support right? Not about proclaiming another's sincerity...making predictions about one's recovery...judging another's motive, correct? Or did I miss something when I read that this is a place to provide support, that people aren't Drs. here, etc...
Old 02-21-2009, 08:14 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

People, places and things. Keep that in mind Katie. Keep your recovery first. Hanging with users, even if you think that taking him to a meeting will save him, will only make it that much harder for you to stay clean. Put the focus back on you. Let him take care of himself. He is an adult, he can handle his life. Don't let him into your house or your life. You are worth so much more than a relationship with a crack addict. Hugs, Marle
Old 02-21-2009, 08:19 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Well, let's hope you are incorrect. This is a message forum. None of us use our real names. None of us know each other IRL. As such, it's really impossible to reach out and get a handle on someone's fate.

I have a Dr. I've been working with for five years towards my recovery. He hasn't given up on me. I have a therapist I've been working with for over a year. She hasn't given up on me. They both know me. Having said this, I am going to take a break from SR. This forum is about support right? Not about proclaiming another's sincerity...making predictions about one's recovery...judging another's motive, correct? Or did I miss something when I read that this is a place to provide support, that people aren't Drs. here, etc...
I give my input based on my personal experience. If you want responses only that agree with what you are doing, or if you're not open to any improvements in your life, then I suggest you add that on to your original posting, okay?

If you can hang with active users and stay sober, then by all means, good for you!

That wasn't the case for me when I got serious about recovery.
Old 02-21-2009, 08:20 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I'm all for support Katie..but I will call it like I see it. This is not the first time you have been involved with toxic people since you joined just a month ago. Learn from your mistakes.
Old 02-21-2009, 08:27 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Katie, isn't this the same guy who was threatening you with a video?