View Single Post
Old 02-21-2009, 01:27 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Katie09

Well, thanks for all your replies. I did get upset and went and slept for a few hours and am thinking more rationally. What I was trying to put forth as part of my OP is that I hate judging people based on a substance, as I've been guilty of using a subtance (alcohol) myself. There are a lot of people who have substance abuse in their lives (and of course in this forum) and I didn't want to come across as it's ok for me to drink wine and yet sit in judgment of those who do other things. As my M.D. told me when I told him I don't do drugs - he said alcohol IS a drug.

I was both sincerely curious (in part because I really am naive and I don't want to get caught up in the penalties associated with being anywhere around drugs) and also part of me wanted to be told have this person no where in my life. Now, maybe it should be obvious to me (I should know better), but I actually feel sorry for anyone who smokes crack. I remember being pained at these other guys and wanting to desperately understand both the drug and the addiction. I spent hours googling on things like "can someone use crack socially?" I suppose as a way to not realize the truth. From what I have seen (in my limited exposure, as my "relationships" were very short lived in the past once I found out they smoked crack and I imagine this one will be as well), crack is a very serious drug and ruins lives. I certainly don't want to be in that club. This isn't to say alcohol doesn't ruin lives, but it takes longer I think and there seems to be more opportunity for repair and less wreckage. I could be wrong on this and am sympathetic to anyone is this forum who has an abuser of any kind in their life.

I called my GF here and we are going to an AA meeting tonight. I really don't want to go (as this means I actually have to wash clothes, find something to wear, show up etc,) but I've promised to meet her so I will be there.

Also, it's my job to mind my own business and just focus on my recovery. I think I am a codie and it's very tempting for me to get caught up in someone else's drama and try to fix them and lose sight of me. I do appreciate all your replies and sorry for the length of this post and also getting upset and if I offended anyone.