View Single Post
Old 02-21-2009, 12:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
serenityqueen
Attitude of Gratitude

Congratulations on 14 days!!!

I really and truly think the best thing to do is when the first round of drinks is ordered, simply just order a coke, sprite, ice tea, coffee, whatever. Then and only then is someone says, "Hey Dentist, why aren't you having a beer?" just casually say, "I just don't drink, not my thing, really." That's all you need to say. If these are people you were more than likely not going to be seeing again, then the antibiotic idea would more than likely work. But since you are going to hopefully work with these people for a long time, you can't use that excuse time and time again. That would make people talk then and wonder what's going in that you're on antibiotics all the time.

I think the more you try to "explain" why you don't want a drink, the more it's going to look like you are trying to hide something. On the other hand, wouldn't it be something if one or more of your associates would come out and say that they are a recovering alcoholic? With the way things are today, it's a very real possibility!

I'd like to add that the idea of not drinking for the rest of your life is something that many people, especially when they first stop drinking, find completely overwhelming. In AA, one of the biggest slogans is One Day at A Time.

I hope you'll stick around, we need a dentist in the family!

God Bless,
Judy