View Single Post
Old 02-21-2009, 12:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
AAdentistAA

Exclamation Alcohol and Work/out of town conference

Hello to everyone who posts on here. I would like to start by thanking everyone because today I am 14 days without a drink and I attribute it to reading posts that I googled and directed my here.

I have listened extensively to the "Joe and Charlie" big book studies and I am pretty aware of the dangers of alcohol and how it works with me. I binge drink on days off. Anyways, I am new to the place of employment and we have a conference next week with an alcohol break built in to the conference!!!

I am trying to abstain from drinking to get some clarity and since lent is coming up, I wanted to abstain throughout lent as well, which when all said and done is about 60 days.

I have note fully committed to the idea of forever sober but I may soon.
I am trying to fight the first drink because I have noticed my cravings decrease over this 2 week period and by golly I feel so inspired to get so many things done!

I was taught in my college that if we were ever in a situation where we would be around alcohol, to just order a coke on the rocks etc.

This is what I want to do but at the same time, I don't want to be seen as a "problem drinker" by virtue of avoiding the stuff! It is sort of sick and it makes me mad to think that by not ordering a beer, I could be seen as "a problem," and this is not something I wish to project especially considering my young age and relative newness to the bosses who will be present.

I could always just blame it on being catholic and lent, but part of me wants to just order the single beer, this is pretty serious and I am sure that I would not get crazy and may actually just have the 1 beer since I don't even like beer.

Has anyone else had work situations similar to this early in the stages of recovery and if so, how did you get through them, any advice?

I would probably feel better not having the beer and getting through to day 60, who knows, by then, I may not want to drink at all.

Thanks for everyone who posts on here, you guys do help!