View Single Post
Old 02-21-2009, 06:43 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
ToughChoices
Yield beautiful changes

Originally Posted by MissFixit View Post
I cannot get past the marriage/children fears...of no having them. I am scared to be alone and I NEVER knew I felt this way until now.
I just wanted to say that there is no event, person, or occasion that will take fear away.
I am married (though I will soon be free of that designation!). I have a lovely child. Neither has solved any of my problems or removed my concerns about the future.

I found that my set of "needs" continued to change and adjust depending on where I was in my life.
There was a period where I intensely desired marriage and feared its lack - I thought, "if only I could find a partner, then I wouldn't be afraid or alone!"
Then I found a partner and the desire and fear evolved - "if only we could have children, then I wouldn't be afraid or alone!"
Then I wanted a career .... I could go on and on .....

Suffice it to say, from where I stand right now, there is no one magical formulation for a happy and well-lived life. I have to open myself to the possibility that while life might not look the way I've always envisioned it - it will be great.

My vision is simply a preference, a still photograph of beauty from my own, severely limited perspective. Of course, this personal vision of my future is appealing, but I have to remind myself that it's not the only way to happiness. It comforts me to know that there is a world of love and beauty beyond my imagining, that my HP is not bound by the limitations of my vision.

When I think of this incredible world of possibilities, I feel my fear fade.

-TC