View Single Post
Old 02-20-2009, 10:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
prodigal

Originally Posted by kermit View Post
I know this in my head and heart, but when I was growing up I had no encouragement, I was the kid everyone made fun of ect
I hear ya. Believe me, I KNOW. I had a lisp. I stuttered. I was fat. I had zits. I was a nerd. My parents not only did not encourage me, they made fun of me or hit me or told me I was fat and stupid.

I am no longer my mother's daughter. I am no longer my father's daughter. They messed up. They were messed up. But I got them for parents. And I spent YEARS being ticked off at them and the raw deal I got.

So I kept glomming onto abusive men, addicted men, indifferent men, abandoning men. I kept trying to fix my parents through other relationships.

I had to lay it to rest. My parents thought I was a piece of crap and a burden. My HP thinks otherwise. I had to stop dragging that huge bag of old garbage around with me or I was going to completely destroy my life. I am 55 years old. I have been on a journey this past eight years to rebuild the mess that has been my life.

I've made major strides. I have had a few major setbacks. But I'm still working on pressing ahead to the better life that I deserve.

Hang in there, Kermie. You deserve good things. You are a good mother. You are a good person. Keep affirming yourself. You ARE worth it!!!!