View Single Post
Old 02-19-2009, 06:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
lovinmenow
Too far from the beach

Hi A123,
Sounds like you know what you need to do. Binge drinking is a type of alcoholism. You don't have to drink every day to have a problem with alcohol. If you are drinking and blacking out like that you need to acknowledge the problem and stop. If you can stay sober for even a few days, then you can stay sober for a whole lot longer than that. You better nip this in the bud now before it gets worse.

I too was the most functioning alcoholic (or so I thought) but now looking back I realize that I was not as functional as I could have been. Don't delude yourself about function. You can't be binge drinking and be THE BEST YOU CAN BE. You are going down a dark path right now and though you may not have hit the woods yet, you will. I am happy for you that you can at least see your own drinking patterns plainly. Just ask yourself, do non alcoholics have the same patterns? Drinking at home, alone, blackouts? No they don't. Pick up a book called "Under the Influence." It will help you understand a little more about the progression of alcoholism.

An old saying, "if you go to the barbershop enough times, you are bound to get a haircut."