Notices

Functional alcoholic

Old 02-19-2009, 06:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile Functional alcoholic

Hello all!

This is my first post. I feel that I am a functional alcoholic. I started off binge drinking from the age of 12. I am now 37. I don't binge drink to the extent that I used to so to speak. I used to drink once a week until I blacked out on the weekends. Now my addiction has changed to drinking at home or when out twice a week but only to the point where I feel comfortable.I drink about 6 beers or one bottle of wine at each occasion. About once a year I fall and drink more than that. My question is: Can this be sustained? Or Should I just go to an AA meeting instead of prolonging the inevitable? (you should know that I live in the country area of a foreign country that does not speak English although I do speak their language to a degree)

Thanks in Advance
A123
Old 02-19-2009, 06:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Worn out by booze

I'm not sure you are yet at the stage you need AA (others might tell you differently) unless you feel compelled to have those drinking sessions, that your week wouldn't be right without them. I suppose it all depends on how much you feel you need to sit down and drink the alcohol.

From my standpoint you're in a good zone now to knock it on the head before it gets worse. I don't think age has anything to do with it. If its progressing, albeit slowly, then it will prgress more.
Old 02-19-2009, 06:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Too far from the beach

Hi A123,
Sounds like you know what you need to do. Binge drinking is a type of alcoholism. You don't have to drink every day to have a problem with alcohol. If you are drinking and blacking out like that you need to acknowledge the problem and stop. If you can stay sober for even a few days, then you can stay sober for a whole lot longer than that. You better nip this in the bud now before it gets worse.

I too was the most functioning alcoholic (or so I thought) but now looking back I realize that I was not as functional as I could have been. Don't delude yourself about function. You can't be binge drinking and be THE BEST YOU CAN BE. You are going down a dark path right now and though you may not have hit the woods yet, you will. I am happy for you that you can at least see your own drinking patterns plainly. Just ask yourself, do non alcoholics have the same patterns? Drinking at home, alone, blackouts? No they don't. Pick up a book called "Under the Influence." It will help you understand a little more about the progression of alcoholism.

An old saying, "if you go to the barbershop enough times, you are bound to get a haircut."
Old 02-19-2009, 06:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

??? Heck, if I could have done that I'd never have quit. I'm not sure that's alcoholism.
Old 02-19-2009, 06:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I "think" your question seems to be "Do I have a problem?" There are many sites online that have a test you can take to determine whether you are an alcoholic or not. If you don't believe you have a problem then I would think you wouldn't be looking and posting on a Sober Recovery board.

I knew I had a problem when I discovered I could not stop at one drink or if I did it was quite a struggle to stop at that one drink. People without a problem don't even think about it they just stop because they've had enough. People with a problem, in my opinion, have difficulty stopping and really do think about it. Any ways, it was also interfering with my life in general and that's why I quit.

Welcome to SR and I hope you get the answers you seek.
Old 02-19-2009, 07:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
let it grow!

nice to meet you, a123. keep reaching out! hugs, k
Old 02-19-2009, 08:05 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

IMO -It doesn't sound like you have a problem but why are you here? You are asking us who drank way more than that so we would have not been here if we could have limited ourselves to feeling comfortable. However you must think it is a problem because those who have no problem would probably not be looking for answers or even asking questions. I think the fact that you did binge drink in the past could be a sign of what is to come. The amount you drink is past the healthly limit so it would be beneficial to you if you could cut down even more. Anyway we are here to help in whatever you decide to do.
Good luck and keep posting we all speak English here.
Old 02-19-2009, 08:07 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

If it bothers you enough to post here....

Only you can really know whether your drinking habit...are problematical.

Alcoholism is a proggresive ilness......always getting worse ...never better,

imo...and that "worse" may take years...or months..or even weeks..

trucker..
Old 02-19-2009, 08:39 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I agree with trucker....if it bothers you enough to come here, I think it's a problem.

When I got to the point when I "needed" to drink....when I "couldn't" stop...I had to be truthful to myself and my wife....I have a problem with booze, and always will.

Your life is better without it.
Old 02-19-2009, 08:57 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Living in sobriety

Hello :ghug3 I remember a time when I was explaining how much I drank or didnt drink to a friend of mine. Their response was "if your comfortable with your drinking, go right ahead".......I wasn't......are you?? like the others said...this aint e bay. Hope you find what your looking for.
Old 02-19-2009, 09:19 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi and Welcome!

Here are some facts about progression
Here's how alcoholism typically progresses:

SOCIAL DRINKERS — Most Americans are characterized as social drinkers. Statistics indicate, however, that one of every 16 drinkers will become alcoholic.

WARNING SIGNS — The individual begins to drink more frequently and more than his associates. He drinks for confidence or to tolerate or escape problems. No party or other occasion is complete without a couple of drinks. Driving and drinking become routine.

EARLY ALCOHOLISM — With increasing frequency, the individual drinks too much. "Blackouts," or temporary amnesia, occur during or following drinking episodes. He drinks more rapidly than others, sneaks drinks and in other ways conceals the quantity that he drinks. He resents any reference to his drinking habits.

BASIC ALCOHOLISM — The individual begins to lose control as to the time, place and amount of his drinking. He gets drunk unintentionally. He hides and protects his liquor supply. He drinks to overcome the hangover from his prior drinking. He tries new patterns of drinking as to time and place of drinking. He attempts cures by moving to new locations or by changing his drinking companions.

CHRONIC ALCOHOLISM — The individual becomes a loner in his drinking. He develops alibis, excuses and rationalizations to cover up or explain his drinking. Personality and behavior changes occur that affect all relationships — family, employment, community. Extended binges, physical tremors, hallucinations and delirium, complete rejection of social reality, malnutrition with accompanying illness and disease and early death all occur as chronic alcoholism progresses.

Source: American Medical Association
The sooner one quit drinking alcohol....the easier it is.
Alcohol is a toxic liquid for everyone.
It does damage to your brain and body...slowly
not drinking is healthy regardless of alcoholism.

Glad you found us...
Old 02-19-2009, 09:32 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

The book "Under The Influence" can be ordered from Amazon
as can it's sequel..."Beyond The Influence"

We also have excerpts on our Alcoholism Forum
please check out this link

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...influence.html

The information from that book convinced me to quit...20 years ago.

I use God and AA to enjoy my recovery
Old 02-19-2009, 09:40 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I lied to myself about my problem for way too long. I was at the point of regular blackouts. I told myself I could stop, I just didn't want to. But then when I tried to stop for a weekend, I could only make it till Sunday afternoon. Since I've stopped drinking, I've found more benefits than I expected. I thought I was a funtional drunk because I had a job, etc. Now I can't believe I let it go for so long. I can't believe how much different I feel. It was a pleasant surprise. I never thought I'd be someone who drinks tea on a Sunday afternoon. As for myself, I was fed up, woke up one morning after using a snow day as a reason to get sloshed, and went to a meeting that day. I knew I was ready. But everyone is different, and that's why being here is so great. You'll find others like you, and learn from others who are not like you.
Welcome!
Old 02-19-2009, 09:40 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Resident

Originally Posted by Samsonsworld View Post
??? Heck, if I could have done that I'd never have quit. I'm not sure that's alcoholism.
I am with Samson on this one. Where I come from you would be considered a moderate drinker.

But that is not important.
What is important is what you think. If you think you have a problem you do and if you don't think you have a problem and are posting this because someone else has told you you have a problem you probably don't.

Either way welcome and all the best to you.
Old 02-19-2009, 09:50 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

Do loved one's tell you you've had too much to drink??
Old 02-19-2009, 09:57 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

If I had been a drinker who could drink a bottle of wine once or twice a week I would still be doing it. Not saying that it couldn't develop into a problem but I would call this moderate. Unfortunately, in my case, a bottle of wine was just the appetizer and I would never stop with that.
Old 02-19-2009, 10:02 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

i agree with everyone else that said, if you are wondering if it's a problem, then it possibly is. online quizzes are good. they kind of opened my eyes. i answered yes to like 80% of the questions :|
Old 02-19-2009, 11:09 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I hated the fact that I had to answer yes to those questions on the quizzes. The only one that didn't apply was hiding the bottles so my husband didn't know how much I was drinking. But I was on the verge of that one.