Old 02-18-2009, 02:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Patk

Putting Spiritual Matters ahead of Material

Hi Everyone,

I have been listening to the AA Speaker tapes and I want to get some second opinions about something I heard. The Speaker (Bruce) had posed the following hypothetical question to sponsee; " If your wife was sick and you could help her by giving up your job, what would you choose?" He then posed the same question asking if it was another close family member, or former friend... to illustrate the point that the spiritual is far more important to us than the material (in this case work) than we might realize.

I am a newcomer and have been sober for a little over a month. I was fired from my last job in 2008 and I have been out of work for almost one year now. My wife works, we have one 2-year old daughter and are expecting our 2nd in June. One common theme I hear on the speaker tapes that if you concentrate on working the steps, then work and finances have a way of working themselves out on their own. Has this been true for others? The ironic thing is that I was working in a part of the world where alcohol is prohibited, so during my tenure at my last employer I was not drinking much; but I still got fired nonetheless.

The other question I have is something else I hear another AA speaker (Larry) say about work. He was working for a less than ethical organization and his sponsor told him he had to quit since his employment there was jeapordizing his sobriety. My former employer sounds similar to the place 'Larry' worked at and I would like to know how others out there deal with such moral dilemnas?

Sincerely,

PatK