View Single Post
Old 02-16-2009, 06:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Eidetic

Originally Posted by Bard View Post

Anyway I'm like you, I'm not an AA guy. I have nothing against it and think it works wonders for people. But if it's not you, then it's not you. It's not the be all to end all, the alpha and the omega of sobriety. I take some of their philosophies to heart but that's it. I find my support and recovery possible by coming here and reading and posting. I research everything I can on recovery and make the necessary changes I need to to ensure a good solid recovery and get inspiration from others who have done it.

It's possible to quit drinking and change your life without becoming a life member of AA. Just take what you need from them and move on and find what will work for you.
Thanks.

I know logically that AA is not the be all and end all, but in my experience, all I've been told there that AA IS the only way. And I have nothing against it, but I just feel as if something is missing and frustrated that I don't "get it" like everyone else there seems to...and then I feel I can't share about that in AA meetings because I've seen people get REALLY hostile responses when they admit they're struggling to find a place in AA.

Anyway, I feel as if I've given AA a fair shot - I've gone to tons of different meetings and have a couple commitments. I think I'll keep those up, because I have met some nice people, but I need an alternate support system and I like what I see here so far.