Notices

(Re)Introduction

Old 02-16-2009, 06:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

(Re)Introduction

I said "enough is enough" on April 14, 2008 and checked myself into out-patient rehab. This program was very 12-step based, and going to AA meetings was part of the requirements. I went, because I'm dutiful for that, but I didn't "buy into it." Then I relapsed soon after rehab and figured I had no choice but to take AA seriously, and I've been trying since September to get involved, work the program, and make friends. And it just hasn't been working or helping. I know AA philosophy well enough by now that I know they'll say it's because I'm not willing enough or humble enough, etc, etc.

But my priority has to me, and my sobriety, and since I can't seem to stay sober, I'm thinking I need something that isn't AA. Since I'm kind of an internet addict (addictive personality, of course) and post on other message boards where I have successfully made friends/found support in other areas, i thought I would try it out for my drinking problem.

I posted a few times back in the summer, but I'm reintroducing myself now.
Old 02-16-2009, 06:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Heya, im a complete newbie myself, infact just an hour ago. Im afraid i dont know enough to help you as im only young. But i wish you luck. : )
Old 02-16-2009, 06:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Resident

Welcome back.
Like you I am trying to do this with just internet support and that support is Sober Recovery forum. People here are very supportive and knowledgeable. So far since I have come here I haven't drank and it is because of all the support and fellowship that I have received here.
Glad to have you here for support.
Old 02-16-2009, 06:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Eidetic,

SR is my lifeline and has been for many years.

You will find continued support here and lots of wonderful people.
Old 02-16-2009, 06:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Eidetic. I don't do AA either, but recognize that it's saved many lives. I came here the end of '07 and didn't stop entirely until Jan. '08. Everything I read on here eventually sunk in and I wanted to be one of the success stories, I wanted to feel joy and happiness again - not be a slave to the poison. Knowing I had a place to come to where everyone understood and didn't judge me was so freeing. No one else in my life has this problem, so I was very alone with it. Please let us know how you're doing. I'm living proof that SR can work magic. Sending love and hope to you there in Jersey.
Old 02-16-2009, 06:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
A new dawn and new chapter

Welcome back! I've found over the years that this is always a plase that welcomes you back

Anyway I'm like you, I'm not an AA guy. I have nothing against it and think it works wonders for people. But if it's not you, then it's not you. It's not the be all to end all, the alpha and the omega of sobriety. I take some of their philosophies to heart but that's it. I find my support and recovery possible by coming here and reading and posting. I research everything I can on recovery and make the necessary changes I need to to ensure a good solid recovery and get inspiration from others who have done it.

It's possible to quit drinking and change your life without becoming a life member of AA. Just take what you need from them and move on and find what will work for you.
Old 02-16-2009, 06:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Too far from the beach

Hi,
Your story sounds exactly like mine. I really am not into the AA thing although my outpaient rehab revolved around the 12 steps. You just have to take out of it what you can and make some positive changes in your life. Welcome here. You will see many different opinions of what recovery is all about. Lots of useful info and support.
Old 02-16-2009, 06:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bard View Post

Anyway I'm like you, I'm not an AA guy. I have nothing against it and think it works wonders for people. But if it's not you, then it's not you. It's not the be all to end all, the alpha and the omega of sobriety. I take some of their philosophies to heart but that's it. I find my support and recovery possible by coming here and reading and posting. I research everything I can on recovery and make the necessary changes I need to to ensure a good solid recovery and get inspiration from others who have done it.

It's possible to quit drinking and change your life without becoming a life member of AA. Just take what you need from them and move on and find what will work for you.
Thanks.

I know logically that AA is not the be all and end all, but in my experience, all I've been told there that AA IS the only way. And I have nothing against it, but I just feel as if something is missing and frustrated that I don't "get it" like everyone else there seems to...and then I feel I can't share about that in AA meetings because I've seen people get REALLY hostile responses when they admit they're struggling to find a place in AA.

Anyway, I feel as if I've given AA a fair shot - I've gone to tons of different meetings and have a couple commitments. I think I'll keep those up, because I have met some nice people, but I need an alternate support system and I like what I see here so far.
Old 02-16-2009, 06:20 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

The main thing is, you need to do whatever works for you.
Old 02-17-2009, 01:37 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I love on line recovery ...I've been using it since '92
and it's immensley important tho I was already
AA sober when I came on line.

AA was the only program founded when I quit.
I have also used SMART for other isues.

There are other recovery programs for you to explore
here is a list...

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-programs.html

I hope you will find something that benefits your life...
Welcome back to SR!
Old 02-17-2009, 04:39 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome back! I'm glad you decided to come back and take another shot at sobriety. THere are lots of recovery programs out there. Try as many as you can find until you find one you like and can work with.

:ghug3
Old 02-17-2009, 05:23 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

RE: Jason2748 Introduction

Thank you Eidetic! I am pretty much the same boat. I completed an out-patient program in August last year, and stayed sober through November. then relapsed just one night. Now for the past several months I have gone a week or two with no drinking and then out of the blue I will hit the bottle for just one night. Trouble is the nights are beginning to come closer together.

I also struggle with the AA philosophy and program, and even though I went to many different meetings in my area while I was going through the out-patient program I was not able to find my own level of comfort with the AA folks in my area. I read the big book, and believe in my higher power. I also am a pretty social person so I am not sure why I struggle so with the AA ideals and program.

Any how, I found SR this past weekend, and I am going to give it a whirl. So far I like what I see. Hopefully, like most things in life, I will get back what I give. Thank you for your post! Jason