View Single Post
Old 02-16-2009, 05:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
MeHandle
1 Corinthians 13:1-13 love

Originally Posted by xoxjordyn View Post
I am 16, and later today my brother and I are finally leaving our mom. I've realized that she isn't going to stop drinking. We have always lived with her, and my dad has 3 other kids, but we're going to go live with him. It's going to be hard, and I'm scared. I feel like if I leave, she will only drink more. But this is our last resort, I guess.

Thanks for listening.
I hope it all works out and your father is healthy so you can take a break from having to be the caretaker instead of being the one that is cared for, as it should have been.

What part are you scared of?

I see that you feel that your mom may drink more if you leave.I also see concern, normal as you love your mom. SHe may very well drink more, and things could get even worse for her. The point being honey, you aren't responsible for her choices and it is not your responsibility to be her caretaker. SHe should have been yours. Nothing she chooses will be you fault. If that happens it will because she choose to drink more, not because you chose to leave. I have the feeling you know this, but sometimes we just need to here it.

The next thing is you shouldn't have even had to engage thoughts of "last resort." There is zero , and I mean zero responsibility for you to carry a burden!!!!!!!! Don't carry this burden and don't worry that she may drink more when your gone. You can't control it by worrying. She is the only one who can control it. You made a right and good decision. If she does that it is her actions, not yours. You making a healthy choice for you and your sibling was a good action.

:ghug3 And here is a big hug from a mom of 3 teenage boys and a 20 year old daughter. I also raised my niece most of her years. Her mom, my sister, was a heroin addict. Them adults where you are going to live are just as scared as you and probably a bit excited to have you too.