View Single Post
Old 02-15-2009, 04:31 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
mle-sober
mle-sober

When I was 21 and had only been drinking for 7 years, my friends and family did an "intervention" on me and convinced me to go into a 4 week, dual-diagnosis program.

I took the mental health part of the program but angrily rejected the substance abuse part of the program.

I viewed the AA meetings in the hospital with contempt and disdain. I thought it was sort of fake sobriety going around. Like the king with no clothes - no one wanted to admit they didn't see it.

After my treatment program, I stayed sober for a few weeks.

I didn't get sober again for 18 more years.

I don't remember questioning AA. I just went. And I stayed because it gave me the only tiny shred of hope that I had. I just offered myself up. I just went and said, "please tell me what to do."

I look back at the first time I was offered recovery through AA when I was 21. And I feel sad. All that time wasted, all those people hurt, all that stupidity.

I don't care how we get and stay sober. If AA works for you, then that is a wonderful and amazing thing. If it doesn't and you find sobriety another way, that is equally wonderful and amazing. It's not the program or the steps you take. It's the acheivement of sobriety. That's what's so important.

Good for you, Hardwired, for taking the next right step. Good for you for stepping forward into recovery.