View Single Post
Old 08-12-2001, 01:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
smoke gets in my eyes

L2L...
Are you being codependant? Are you asking if you fit in somebody's neat category for a specific kind of inappropriate behavior?
I'm not a qualified mental health professional, so I will not pretend to define terms which baffle me. Let's ask a clearer question. Are you hurting yourself? Only you can answer that.
I am the daughter of an alchoholic (deceased) and my significant other is a narcotics addict. I spend a lot of time on the nar-anon page at this site.
These are the things you can do.
Let him know where to find help. (He knows that.)
Let him know that you care about him and his recovery. (You've done that.)
Set clear rules and follow them yourself.
Let go.

He may die. You are not in control of that. If he is determined to self destruct, it doesn't matter how you plead, promise, suffer or sacrifice... he will succeed. You are recovering yourself. You know. There is nothing anyone could do to make you stop. Only you could decide that you had lost enough, already. Right? So, knowing this, you know there is no reason to torture yourself with "what ifs". It's his ballgame. That's hard to take.
You are a victor. Celebrate your success. How could you hope to be more in the life of another addict than a shining example that recovery IS POSSIBLE? You are that. And you know.... you did it yourself.